Monday, August 21, 2006

Mysteries of Conducting

An excellent article in The New Yorker (August 21, 2006) by Justin Davidson on the art of conducting, and the mystery of the personal language that each conductor develops to control the whole vast range of musical elements. Sadly I can't link to the actual article because it doesn't seem to have been posted. I particularly liked James Conlon's observation that "a maestro's gestures fall into two groups, which might be described as 'Get ready!' and 'Go!'" It's worth checking out.

On a personal note, I discovered last week that I can no longer post from work. Ah, the joys of the firewall. This just means making sure blogging is my @home computer list (for those of you into GTD) where it has now been entered. We shall see...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home